The Pros and Cons of Broadcast Advertising
Advertising these days is just one click away. With the help of the internet, one can just simply promote a product or service using the online platform. Online platform of advertising may cause hesitation for businesspersons; however, they can always simply go old-school.
TV and radio are two most used traditional medium of advertising. By paying TV stations and producing series of television programming, a business expresses and promotes its product or service. This is often referred to TV advertisement, advert or commercial. On the other hand, radio advertising works by paying the airtime of a radio station.
So, which is a better traditional advertising medium, TV or radio? Let’s discuss the pros and cons of each medium.
- Most of households own and have access to TV. With the existence of cable networks, 24/7 programs, and satellite channels, there is a significant increase in the audience rating; hence, making TV an essential medium of advertising.
- TV advertising does not only cover the local and national scene. International viewers can also be reached within a short span of time; thus, allowing you to get a large and varied audience.
- Since TV advertising uses both audio and visual effects, one can clearly convey their message regarding the product or service. With the elements such as color, sound, storyline, and additional props, the advert becomes outstanding; making the product or service prominent and valid.
- TV commercials can be annoying at times. People find ways to avoid watching advertisements by diverting their time to do other things such as surfing other channels, checking emails, or getting a snack. Because of an individual’s innovation and advancement of technology, there are tools readily available in the market to remove or block adverts on TV.
- Compared to other traditional medium of advertising, TV ad is the most expensive. Making a high quality ad and buying an airtime slot may cost about $400,000 to $1,400,000. Because of this, commercials are often brief and the completeness and clarity of message is sacrificed.
- Small businesses and local organizations consider radio as a strong local medium of advertising. For those business entities that target the local audience, radio advertising could be a good choice.
- Depending on the targeted geographical audience of a business, radios are capable of finding the right match for advert campaigns. Small establishments may advertise using local and regional stations. While businesses targeting the national market can advertise on national radio stations.
- The same targeted audience can be reached by radio advertisement in a lower cost compared to TV and print advertisement. However, rates may vary especially those in areas that are densely populated.
- Radio ads build a connection to audiences who are reliant to the medium for news, weather, and sports reports.
- Limited attention may be given to radio advertisements since radios are often used as a background sound for people who are busy. In addition, listeners may ignore the message and content.
- By using only voice and music, the impact of the radio advertisement may be compromised. Also, not all products or services can be advertised using the radio. Products that require a visual representation do not fit for radio advertising.
- Radio adverts need to be played several times in order for listeners to catch and retain the message of the ads.
When trying out any medium of advertising, one has to plan first. Here’s how to setup a radio and TV ads.
- Know your target market. An obvious oversight of advertisers is that they do not have the idea who they’re selling the product to.
- Project a budget for advertising. Overspending on advertising can be eradicated if you set a specific budget.
- Contact TV and radio station managers. You can always seek help to the managers, often represented by salesperson. Asking for spots that would reach your targeted audience is very important.
Deciding which medium of advertising that is profitable for your product or service is a hard task. A better idea is to integrate traditional advertising medium with the online platform. Researches show that those traditional media of advertising boost the website’s traffic. It is important to direct your audience or potential customers to your web properties. Make a specific URL with a sole purpose for campaign and media. The URL must be short and easy to familiarize. Landing pages or social media accounts can be your redirecting pages for your campaign URL.